Greeting Friends and Supporters of Storytelling :
The OKC Tellers launched last evening as a group of great people gathered to learn, listen, and improve their storytelling skills. It looks like we have some wonderful budding story artisans and appreciative listeners and that is fantastic.
As promised, here is some information for your calendar, some links, and contact information. Plan on joining us next Monday for another great event! As requested, I can also put together book lists, note sheets, and handouts to send out.
Schedule for this fall (2013) -
- August 22-23 - OKC Storytelling Festival, OK History Center
- Meet Up - Mon. Sept. 9, 7 p.m. -Wesley UMC, NW 25th & Douglas Ave. Theme: "Word Doodles"/Intro.
- Meet Up- Mon. Oct. 7, 7 p.m.-Wesley UMC, NW 25th & Douglas Ave. Theme: Fall and Haunted Tales. (Also - check out the calendar for the spooky stories at the Choctaw library at the MLS website www.metrolibraries.org)
- Meet Up -Mon.. Nov. 4, 7 p.m.-Wesley UMC, NW 25th & Douglas Ave. Theme: Family Stories ; Information on voice projection.
- Sat., Nov. 23 - Tellabration at Wesley UMC, NW 25 & Douglas Ave., OKC 5-6 history tour (hopefully with costumed guides) ; 6-8:30 is the storytelling concert. Cost is $10 per person and will benefit the the historic preservation of the church.
- Meet Up - Mon. Dec. 2, 7 p.m.- Wesley UMC, NW 25th & Douglas Ave. Theme: Fire & Light: Winter Holidays.
Looking into 2014:
Lots of opportunities to volunteer, tell stories, and just have some fun!
- Around March, and World Storytelling Day, a possible "Neighborhood Story Fest" is planned on the grounds of WUMC with a story stage and various family oriented activities. This will give everyone who wants to try their hand at telling family friendly and appropriate stories a chance to tell!
- Choctaw Library will probably host another "Whopper's Contest" - more as details emerge.
- In June (1st weekend), The Territory Tellers will hold their "Spirit of Oklahoma Storytelling Festival" in Bethany on the campus of SNU. It would be great to have a good participation in this as the new OKC group!!
- Later in the summer will be the OKC Storytelling Festival sponsored by the OKC Arts Council. National and international tellers are brought in for concerts and workshops.
- Need a T-shirt, golfshirt, to proclaim you are a member of the OKC Tellers? : http://www.cafepress.com/okcstorytellers
- You should also check out membership in the state organization at www.territorytellers.org
Explore Storytelling Online:
Sean Bulava, a nationally known storyteller, has put together this video on "How To Tell a Story" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOA8mUflH-Q
See you next month and remember everyone has a story to tell!
OKC Tellers Storytelling Group (weblink)
Oklahoma Association of Storytellers - OKC Tellers (Facebook)